Somatostatin plus Gastroscopic Administration of Omeprazole for the Treatment of Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: An Exploration of a Promising Alternative

Department of Emegercy, Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences, Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital, Chengdu 610000, China.

Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM. 2022;2022:6329592
Full text from:

Other resources

OBJECTIVE To analyze the efficacy and safety of somatostatin combined with gastroscopic administration of omeprazole in the treatment of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. METHODS Eligible 112 patients with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding treated in our hospital from May 2019 to July 2020 were randomized at a ratio of 1 : 1 either to the control group (somatostatin) or observation group (somatostatin combined with omeprazole gastroscope administration). The treatment efficacy, the average hemostasis time, rebleeding rate, average length of hospital stay, and the incidence of adverse reactions were compared. RESULTS The study group demonstrated significantly higher total effective rate than the control group (96.45% vs. 80.36%, <0.05). The study group demonstrated superior performances compared to the control group with respect to the average hemostasis time ((14.17 ± 2.53 h) vs. (28.84 ± 4.07 h)), rebleeding rate (3.57% vs. 14.28%), and average length of hospital stay ((5.86 ± 1.26 d) vs. (9.74 ± 1.07 d)) (all p < 0.05). The chi-square test revealed a remarkably lower total incidence of adverse reactions in the study group vs. control group which was (4 (7.14%) vs. 12 (21.43%)) (p < 0.05). CONCLUSION The combination of somatostatin and gastroscopic administration of omeprazole might be a promising alternative for the treatment of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. It improves the clinical treatment effect and controls the symptoms of patients, with a good safety profile.
Study details
Language : eng
Credits : Bibliographic data from MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine